CV Paul-Christian Burda
Paul-Christian Burda studied biology at the Humboldt University in Berlin and at the University of Heidelberg. In 2015, he obtained his PhD from the University of Bern in Switzerland for his work on membrane alteration during Plasmodium berghei liver stage development and egress that he performed in the lab of Volker Heussler at the Institute of Cell Biology. He remained in the Heussler laboratory for another one and a half years as a post-doctoral fellow, before accepting in 2017 a habilitation position at the University of Hamburg / Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in the lab of Tim Gilberger. His research focuses on membrane biology of the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum and the underlying mechanisms that are established by the parasite to modify and disrupt its host cells.
- Burda PC, Bisio H, Marq JB, Soldati-Favre D, Heussler VT (2020) CRISPR/Cas9-based knockout of GNAQ reveals differences in host cell signaling necessary for egress of apicomplexan parasites. mSphere 5:e01001-20.
- Burda PC, Crosskey T, Lauk K, Zurborg S, Söhnchen C, Liffner B, Wilcke L, Pietsch E, Strauss J, Jeffries CM, Svergun DI, Wilson DW, Wilmanns M, Gilberger TW (2020) Structure-based identification and functional characterization of a lipocalin in the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Cell Rep 31:107817.
- Geiger M, Brown C, Wichers JS, Strauss J, Lill A, Thuenauer R, Liffner B, Wilcke L, Lemcke S, Heincke D, Pazicky S, Bachmann A, Löw C, Wilson D, Filarsky M, Burda PC, Zhang K, Junop M, Gilberger TW (2019) Structural insights into PfARO and characterization of its interaction with PfAIP. J Mol Biol 432:879-896.
- Stanway RR, Bushell E, Chiappino-Pepe A, Roques M, Sanderson T, Franke-Fayard B, Caldelari R, Golomingi M, Nyonda M, Pandey V, Schwach F, Chevalley S, Ramesar J, Metcalf T, Herd C, Burda PC, Rayner J, Soldati-Favre D, Janse C, Hatzimanikatis V, Billker O, Heussler V (2019) Genome Scale Identification of Essential Metabolic Processes for Targeting the Plasmodium Liver Stage. Cell 179:1112-1128.e26.
- Schnider CB, Bausch-Fluck D, Brühlmann F, Heussler VT, Burda PC (2018) BioID reveals novel proteins of the Plasmodium parasitophorous vacuole membrane. mSphere 3:e00522-17.
- Burda PC, Schaffner M, Kaiser G, Roques M, Zuber B, Heussler VT (2017) A Plasmodium plasma membrane reporter reveals membrane dynamics by live-cell microscopy. Sci Rep 7:9740.
- Burda PC, Caldelari R, Heussler VT (2017) Manipulation of the host cell membrane during Plasmodium liver stage egress. mBio 8:e00139-17.
- De Niz M, Burda PC, Kaiser G, Frischknecht F, Spielmann T, Heussler VT (2017): Progress in imaging methods: insights gained into Plasmodium biology. Nat Rev Microbiol 15:37-54.
- Burda PC, Roelli MA, Schaffner M, Khan SM, Janse, CJ, Heussler VT (2015) A Plasmodium phospholipase is involved in disruption of the liver stage parasitophorous vacuole membrane. PLoS Pathog 11:e1004760.
- Eickel N, Kaiser G, Prado M, Burda PC, Roelli M, Stanway RR, Heussler VT (2013) Features of autophagic cell death in Plasmodium liver-stage parasites. Autophagy 9: 568–580